Friday, September 17, 2004

In pursuit of Bambi's mother

There is a little chill in the air, and the freezer is nearly empty. Tomorrow morning at sunrise, Wisconsin's bow season for deer begins again. As everyone knows, the most prized and brag worthy deer are the bucks with antlers of many points. I have been living in WI for about a year. The only antlers I've seen so far were on a deer crossing the road near the Eau Claire country club. I've all but given up bagging a (real) buck this year. Last year I shot Bambi himself. He was a first year deer that hadn't grown any antlers yet. Didn't realize it was male until I gutted him out. I'd always heard the little ones were good eating. Oh Boy are they ever, but there isn't enuff meat to last the year. I just bought beef for the first time in 4 years. So this year, since bucks are too elusive and fawns don't feed the family, its time to cull the big doe. My son, Jeremiah, and I saw a fawn on our walk after dinner tonight. Mom must be near by. The real question is am I going to haul my butt out of bed at 5am tomorrow morning for the opener. I am beginning to doubt it. I might have to go to the library and pick up one of those Christopher Moore books for something to do in the stand. Hunting is tranquil, but boring when you don't see any deer.

4 comments:

Scooter said...

I know that Klund refuses to eat anything that he feels was "cute" as a baby - so he'll willingly eat snakes, alligators, platypi, ostriches, slugs and some humans - but, does it count if he gives you book ideas to read while you're hunting things that were cute as babies? I would think that makes him somewhat culpable.

BiggTree said...

Well, I've been hunting twice now this season and haven't seen any deer. Maybe its klund karma.

BiggTree said...

Just saw three deer in the backyard. They were out of range. I am home with the kids. Didn't feel like leaving the kids alone so I could stalk deer in a cold afternoon downpour.

BiggTree said...

Bambi was in the backyard this afternoon. I crept out the garage, grabbed my bow and started stalking. I snuck up on him/her (hard to tell with fawns) a la Elmer Fudd. My first approach was behind the cover of a white pine trunk. On second approach I was slinking up behind the kids jungle gym. At this point bambi, still unalarmed, munched his way behind a full pine tree. As though scripted for Hollywood, as I moved into position, I stepped on a pine cone. Bambi heard the crunch and stopped the munch. He snapped his head in my direction and swished his tail. He saw me. I was down on one knee, and I froze. I expected him to bolt, but deer are curious. He wanted to know what I was. He started towards me and I drew my bow. He was about 20 yards away when he stopped to look at me. I could tell he was wondering what a man would be doing with a bow in his woods. I placed my 20 yard pin on his heart, did my best to brace myself and fingered the release. I let fly pointy death. Bambi nearly turned inside out as he bounded away, snorting and waving his danger flag. Bewildered, I retrieved my arrow. The broadhead had 6 strands of fur, and no blood. I missed. I need to practice my aim more.