Saturday, March 07, 2009

Preparing for battle

Throughout history warriors have prepared for battle. The preparations have echoed from eternity with as near clarity as the battle themselves. Time is but an illusion. It is but a crutch leaned on by mortals too blind to see eternity. Why do the legends of history speak to us? They have achieved eternity. They are not the past. All that they have done, they are doing. As I prepare for the Shamrock Shuffle on the morrow I can feel the presence of Hercules, of Napolean, of the Mongol Horde. Our goals may differ, but I can feel my preparations binding me to the fraternity of eternity. We brothers prepare. There is no when, there is only where. Here am I, programming a running mix into my iPod Nano. Somewhere David loads his sling pouch with stones from the river bed. Somewhere Popeye opens a can of spinach. Somewhere A-Rod drops his pants. Are those my fingers clasping my iPod? Or are they Samson's seizing the jawbone of an ass? Only the Philistines know for sure.

No comments: